WHAT TO EXPECT AT THE CLINIC
The first thing I want my students to know is that I love
teaching people and horses. I have been
conducting barrel racing clinics since 2001. I will be teaching what I learned
over a 19 year professional career.
Since retiring from professional full time competition in 2003, I have
gained much knowledge over the years as an instructor to correct many problems.
I give the same great advice my parents
gave me, work hard and respect the horses.
I will be teaching the fundamentals of barrel
racing and good horsemanship. Keep in
mind it’s a speed event. This means it’s important to learn correct
body control for the rider and the horse. The ability to feel what your horse’s
body is doing underneath you is necessary to be fast, efficient and to be aware
of any physical problems your horse might have. It is a must to have a positive attitude to
get the most out of your experience.
With the abundant information you will be receiving, we want you to stay
focused on the positive changes you will be making.
The start of the clinic is evaluation time.
- This is a helpful part of the clinic for me to
watch you and your horse going through the pattern at current speed/level.
(Some riders are beginners and are only going slow, some riders bring a horse that is just
started on the barrels and going slow, while others are running full speed at
top WPRA levels all the way through the D’s.)
- After watching you ride, I will ride your horse
through the barrel pattern to get a feel for him. ·
- Following the ride through, you have the option
to have your horse’s teeth checked by our master certified equine dentist Randy
- The dental check is optional and free.
- Should you decide to have dentistry work during
the clinic, it will take about an hour to hour and a half before you can return
to riding again. After Dentistry, work
the horses are usually much better about problems they were having. Such as pulling on the bit and general
overall attitude about working the barrel pattern.
- At the same time, we have our equine
chiropractor, Casey Deal, who will be available to check your horse, too.
- Laurie Braman (Clinic Director) will be available to look at your
horse as well . She is a certified equine massage therapist and an expert with using Lifewave
- We will have a veterinarian on hand to assist
our experts and care for the horses if needed.
- Following the evaluations I will give a
presentation on the instruction you will be receiving. (Don't miss this)
- Our equine dentist will be giving a presentation on equine dentistry. Horses with a
good mouth are so much easier to work with, and put out more effort. We don’t want your horse to be in pain from
sharp teeth that cut the cheeks of their mouths.
- I will give a motivational
talk that includes how to prepare for competition.
- There are basic fundamentals every rider needs to
‘master’ to be consistent and fast. Clinic participants will be working on these
basics during the drills. Throughout the clinic these fundamentals will be
taught through drills plus slow and fast barrel pattern work.
- The drills are geared toward building awareness
of how your hands, legs, weight, seat and eyes dictate the way your horse
travels around the barrel.
Barrel Pattern Work - The fundamentals you
worked on in the drills need to be carried over to the barrel pattern.
- You will make two slow exhibition style runs to
build awareness of areas in which you will need to improve. Then you will make one or two fast runs to
work the areas that we need to improve when adding speed. We don’t want to overwork your horse; however,
if you should need more barrel pattern work we can do a few more.
- I will give a motivational talk that includes
how to prepare for competition.
- We will have a timed barrel race at the end of
- My goal at the completion of the clinic is to
make sure that you have an awareness and a feel for what your body is doing and the way it
guides your horse. It takes time and
repetition to get it right.
- Lastly, we are going to have a great time! I am looking forward to working with you and